Aakhir Tak – In Shorts
- Ali Khamenei‘s adviser issued a stark warning: Iran might seek nuclear weapons if attacked.
- This follows Donald Trump‘s threat to bomb Iran over its nuclear program.
- Iran’s Supreme Leader vowed a “strong reciprocal blow” against any US aggression.
- Reports indicate Tehran has placed its underground missile arsenal on ready-to-launch mode.
- Amid the US-Iran Standoff, Iran rejects direct talks but remains open to indirect ones.
Aakhir Tak – In Depth
An adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei delivered a stark warning on Monday. He stated that if attacked by the United States or its allies, Tehran would have “no choice” but to pursue nuclear weapons for its defence. This declaration escalates tensions surrounding the Iran Nuclear Program and the broader US-Iran Standoff. It comes shortly after threats made by former US President Donald Trump.
Khamenei Adviser’s Stark Warning
Ali Larijani, Khamenei’s adviser, made the comments following Khamenei’s vow of retaliation. This vow was a response to Donald Trump‘s threat to bomb Iran. Trump linked this threat to Iran refusing to curb its nuclear program. “We are not moving towards (nuclear) weapons,” Larijani told state television, as reported by France 24. “But if you do something wrong in the Iranian nuclear issue, you will force Iran to move towards that because it has to defend itself,” he cautioned.
Larijani, a veteran politician and experienced nuclear negotiator, emphasized the gravity of the situation. “Iran does not want to do this, but … [it] will have no choice,” he stated. He further elaborated, “If at some point you (the US) move towards bombing by yourself or through Israel, you will force Iran to make a different decision.” This implies a potential shift in Iran’s long-standing official policy against seeking nuclear weapons.
Trump’s Threat and Khamenei’s Retort
The context for Larijani’s warning is crucial. Donald Trump said on Saturday that “there will be bombing” if Iran does not agree to a nuclear deal, NBC News reported. The network also mentioned Trump threatened Tehran with punitive “secondary tariffs.”
In direct response, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei declared that the US would receive a “strong reciprocal blow” if it acted on Trump’s bombing threat. “The enmity from the US and Israel has always been there,” Khamenei said in a statement. “They threaten to attack us, which we don’t think is very probable, but if they commit any mischief, they will surely receive a strong reciprocal blow.”
Iran’s Diplomatic and Military Posture
Iran also responded through diplomatic channels. Its UN ambassador, Amir Saeid Iravani, condemned the threats. He called them “warmongering provocations” in a letter to the UN Security Council. Iravani wrote that Iran “will respond swiftly and decisively to any act of aggression or attack by the United States or its proxy, the Israeli regime.”
Meanwhile, state-controlled Tehran Times reported a significant military development. It stated Iran has placed its underground missile arsenal in ready-to-launch mode. These missiles are reportedly aimed to strike “US-related positions” if necessary. The newspaper highlighted that these missiles are stationed in fortified underground facilities. These facilities are designed to withstand airstrikes. This military posturing further heightens the US-Iran Standoff.
Stance on Negotiations Amid Tensions
Amid increasing calls from Washington for Iran to dismantle its Iran Nuclear Program, Iranian officials addressed the possibility of talks. They rejected direct negotiations with the US. However, they left the door open for indirect discussions. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian commented on Sunday. “We don’t avoid talks; it’s the breach of promises that has caused issues for us so far,” he stated. “They must prove that they can build trust.” This likely refers to the US withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal under Trump.
Following Iran’s strong response, Washington reiterated its long-held position. The US stated it cannot allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon. The US State Department warned of “bad consequences” for Iran. These consequences would follow if Iran refuses to accept a deal. It asserted that the current administration’s position remains firm, continuing the pressure related to the Iran Nuclear Program. The path to de-escalating the US-Iran Standoff remains unclear.
Aakhir Tak – Key Takeaways to Remember
- A top adviser to Ali Khamenei warned Iran might pursue nuclear weapons if attacked by the US or Israel.
- This warning came after Donald Trump threatened bombing over the Iran Nuclear Program.
- Iran vowed a strong reciprocal blow to any attack and reportedly readied missiles.
- Tehran rejects direct US talks, citing trust issues, contributing to the US-Iran Standoff.
- The US maintains its stance: preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons is paramount.
Discover more from Latest News, Breaking News, National News, World News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.